ParrotGirl's Bird World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A family-friendly forum to discuss the care and breeding of parrots and other birds.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What did your birds eat today?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
catalinadee

catalinadee

What did your birds eat today? Empty
PostSubject: What did your birds eat today?   What did your birds eat today? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2012 10:17 am

I love discussing food! I love preparing food! And I love seeing my babies enjoying their food! So I thought I'd make a thread that is sort of like a... well, a feeding diary? Almost. Sort of!

SO! Today my babies got some of their natural BirdTricks diet this morning which they have prepared once every two weeks and then frozen. I defosted it last night and gave it to the conures and the lovie family. I then got my new hand chopper in the post which I was really excited about (how lame am I!?) and chopped up a carrot, some raddishes, peppers, sprouts and green beans. I gave it to those guys too and they gobbled it right up, it sure does beat chopping by hand that's for sure! Tonight I'm going to give them some pellets with a bit of their nice seed mix that has pellets, veggies, fruit etc in it

The reason why I haven't been able to give this to all of my birds is because some birds can be very difficult to switch over to better foods really. Those new lovebirds that I have taken in I don't think they've ever even seen a vegetable. Poor babies. I didn't wanna give them just a normal parakeet mixture so I got a vitamin enriched mixture (stated above) and it's by Hagen, it's better than just normal seeds! My kakarikis are seed junkies and I have tried many many many times to convert them to a better diet. They actually like their fruit and veg but only when everything is completely taken away from them, which I REALLY don't wanna do. I'm too scared of any weight loss, I'm sure we all have birds who refuse to eat Rolling Eyes the cockatiels and finches usually enjoy fresh foods alongside a seed mix too, so I try to mix it up as much as possible, the canaries are the same. The diamond doves only usually pick at the really green stuff but I try my hardest to get good food into them. My quails enjoy fruit and veg suprisingly! Harvey the cockatiel has been extremely hard to wean and every now and then he still begs for food, in my opinion he is still underweight so I try and give him as much food as I can. He's also been eating that mix I've been using for the lovies and so far he seems to be really enjoying it, and eating every last bit of it. I'd like to convert everybody over when we have everybody all set up in new aviaries and I can get the food going in a lot better, with the occasional seed treat. Like today, I sneaked the conures and lovies a little piece of millet each. I'm gunna treat Harvey to something nice later on though, I may give him a feeding if he begs for it but so far he's doing well at stuffing his face Laughing So anyways, today the outside birds got a bit of greens but they still haven't eaten them, sigh. The budgies are a living **** when it comes to eating fresh things. None of the birds were raised by myself, except two, and those are the only two who will. Hopefully when all the budgies go into one big aviary those guys will encourage the others. I do give them the opportunity to eat it, but so far I've had very little success. So they get their fresh food which is not touched, some seeds, millet, egg food etc.

Obviously I'm not going to write this much today, I was just explaining my junk food birds and why they annoy me!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/DeesBirdHouse
catalinadee

catalinadee

PostSubject: Re: What did your birds eat today?   What did your birds eat today? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 5:30 pm

Yesterday the birds had some of their seed mix stuff in the form of foraging to encourage more natural behaviours. They all really enjoyed it. I then gave them all a treat stick each per cage (naughty me) and they really loved them. They then had some of their natural diet for their evening meal. Today they had a small portion of pellets and their mix as a tiny snack before I went out in the morning and when I came back they all had their natural diet. I spend the evening cooking them up a meal and making some chop. I made a parrot chilli out of brown rice and mixed beans. I added red, green and yellow peppers to it and some other things such as ground chillis, ground cumin, ground cayenne and chilli powder. It's a nice spicy dish that is for sure Very Happy The chop I made had raddish, celery, broccoli, romaine lettuce, cabbage, butternut squash, chillis, peppers, beets, carrots, water cress, mixed beans, sprouts and I can't even remember what else but either way it looked nice! Quinoa and pasta too!

Here's the chilli, it doesn't look that great but it sure does smell and taste great Razz
What did your birds eat today? AD5F7B4D-202D-42B8-996B-379671917185-109-000000045E53AD92

And here's tonights chop I made (I have a lot to last me now but I vary it every day with different mixes)
What did your birds eat today? 094D6DDD-BC43-4BCC-A88B-A635191B6530-109-00000004648EB7F6
Back to top Go down
catalinadee

catalinadee

PostSubject: Re: What did your birds eat today?   What did your birds eat today? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 9:07 am

Today I've been busy so they just had some defrosted natural diet and a tiny bit of seeds with some pellets. I'll chop them up some fruit later real quick for a snack Smile
Back to top Go down
Abby

Abby

PostSubject: Re: What did your birds eat today?   What did your birds eat today? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 7:45 am

Wow, that looks very fancy!
Back to top Go down
catalinadee

catalinadee

PostSubject: Re: What did your birds eat today?   What did your birds eat today? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 7:48 am

Thanks!

I haven't posted for a few days. Today we've had some apple, orange and banana as a fruity snack with some seeds to forage for. A small portion of pellets each and tonight we've got the pink chop Very Happy
Back to top Go down
catalinadee

catalinadee

PostSubject: Re: What did your birds eat today?   What did your birds eat today? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 8:14 am

Haven't posted for a little while, but it has been the same thing all week as I've been busy. That's the best thing about defrosting stuff! I'm doing another shop later today so I can buy some fruit and things
Back to top Go down
catalinadee

catalinadee

PostSubject: Re: What did your birds eat today?   What did your birds eat today? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 5:53 am

Today we're having a chop mix I had defrosted with some pellets and for a nice treat tonight we're having banana, apple, orange and papaya!
Back to top Go down
catalinadee

catalinadee

PostSubject: Re: What did your birds eat today?   What did your birds eat today? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 3:40 pm

The inside birds have been eating fantastic recently and I'm really happy to say that slowly the whole flock is starting to convert to a healthier, well balanced diet. SO our food today has been a chop mix, sprouted seeds and pink chop with some hemp seeds on the side Smile my mystery bird has eaten nectar, oranges, apples and bananas with plenty of water Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What did your birds eat today?   What did your birds eat today? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What did your birds eat today?
Page 1 of 1