ParrotGirl's Bird World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A family-friendly forum to discuss the care and breeding of parrots and other birds.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Beware of wanted ads and 'rescues'

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
catalinadee

catalinadee

Beware of wanted ads and 'rescues' Empty
PostSubject: Beware of wanted ads and 'rescues'   Beware of wanted ads and 'rescues' Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2012 9:30 am

Here's an entry I posted today from my blog about bird care. I feel we have many growing issues such as these!

Recently I have seen a lot of people setting up what they think are rescues. They post adverts on second hand selling sites saying they can do this and that for your bird but only if the bird is given for free. I would not trust these. Sadly, many of these so called rescues are actually people out to get either free birds for themselves or they will sell them on for profit. Not to rescue and rehome, but to sell. It saddens me to see so many of them popping up recently, especially since the UK’s parrot scene is starting to get bigger. I’m not saying that all of them are bad, but beware when you give your bird away to somebody stating they are a rescue. You may find your bird is rehomed over and over again

I have also seen many wanted ads for free birds. They do not say it’s because they want to rehome an unwanted bird who actually needs a home. They just state they want a free bird. Would you be willing to give your bird to somebody who is most likely going to sell them on and make a profit from them? I actually sold a baby budgie, hand raised, to somebody who I thought was genuine. I sell all of my babies for a low price because I don’t see the point in charging over the roof. About a month later I saw the bird for sale on a second hand site with a cage for a lot of money. I could even see my ring on her leg. This upset me because when I sell a bird to somebody I give them a care sheet, feeding sheet and so on. I clearly state on these that if they can no longer look after the bird or simply do not want it any more then I will happily buy the bird back off them. But no! They still sell them on. It really does upset me! You have to be so careful. Even the most smooth talking of people can be somebody you think they aren’t even if they do have a sob story for you. Just be careful!

As well as these, I’ve seen many people putting wanted ads up pretty much begging for a free parrot because, say their children asked for one and they can’t afford one. And they don’t want to upset the kids. So? I have responded to many of these adverts stating that if you cannot afford the bird how on earth do you expect to house the bird correctly, feed the bird a suitable diet, take it to the vets for emergencies and check ups and provide plenty of enrichment? Not only this, but do they expect the bird to put up with children running and screaming around them, not understanding the emotional demands of a parrot? It wouldn’t be fair to put a bird in a situation like that. I am not saying that children cannot care for birds, as I have for a very young age. But not every child will do that. What will happen when the children get bored of him/her? What will happen to it when they go to school and move on to college? Will they still want to care for the bird and/or have the time for it? I haven’t had one person respond to my questions

One more thing. This applies to many places now sadly, but currently I am referring to the UK. We now have a lot of feral parrots. We mostly have flocks of Indian ringneck parakeets and quaker parakeets. A lot of the Indian ringnecks seen advertised may be wild caught. I bought an older IRN from a very bad pet store because a friend had told me she was in there. I know you ‘can’t save them all’ but I couldn’t leave her there. She wouldn’t get the right owner and I knew it. I took her home and put her in my biggest cage and filled it with toys and good food. When I got her out she had a horrifically tight ring around her leg that was actually a flat piece of blue metal wrapped around her leg. It was so tight it was oozing and skin was growing over it. I took it off and a few minutes of screaming later you could see the relief on the poor girls face. Echo passed away recently due to an issue we had here, which I will write about another time when I can bring my self to do it. The poor girl had been caught and I knew it. Never had I seen a bird so phobic. Ask the stores you buy your birds from where they came from? Who the breeder was. If somebody is rehoming an IRN with a cage for about £150 saying they’re tame and talking then ask why, where they got it from and can you visit before you buy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/DeesBirdHouse
ParrotGirl (Admin)
Admin
ParrotGirl (Admin)

Beware of wanted ads and 'rescues' Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beware of wanted ads and 'rescues'   Beware of wanted ads and 'rescues' Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2012 2:04 am

Great information Daisy!
Back to top Go down
https://birdworld.forumotion.com

Beware of wanted ads and 'rescues'
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ParrotGirl's Bird World :: Rehoming-
Jump to: