ParrotGirl's Bird World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A family-friendly forum to discuss the care and breeding of parrots and other birds.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Meet Darwin!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
catalinadee

catalinadee

Meet Darwin! Empty
PostSubject: Meet Darwin!   Meet Darwin! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 10:09 am

Soooo, my mystery bird is Darwin and he is a black capped lory! He is the sweetest little monster I ever did meet. Regardless of the different diet and the horrific poop, I sure do love him!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

He's truly amazing, he's a lot like a caique in his behaviour. He's extremely playful and I can roll him around anywhere but he isn't a huge fan of other birds. He doesn't mind any of the others, and will tolerate their existance but he will go out of his way to try and get Harvey. So Harvey has to be kept well away! He weighs just over 240 grams, so he's coming up to the size of a Timneh grey. He's not a small bird! He's DOUBLE the weight of Bandit, my American kestrel. He sticks his huge tongue into everything and anything. He currently won't actually eat solid fruit and veg so I have been giving him his lory nectar alongside baby food. You can get blended fruit, completely organic with nothing else in it and so he's been thoroughly enjoying that. He isn't clipped but he doesn't fly much at all. He doesn't walk like a normal bird, he hops! He bounces everywhere he goes Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/DeesBirdHouse
ParrotGirl (Admin)
Admin
ParrotGirl (Admin)

Meet Darwin! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meet Darwin!   Meet Darwin! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 6:43 pm

He is absolutly stunning Daisy. I had never seen or heard of a black capped lory before, but I sure want one now Very Happy

Last edited by ParrotGirl (Admin) on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Breaindead and can't spell properly)
Back to top Go down
https://birdworld.forumotion.com
catalinadee

catalinadee

Meet Darwin! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meet Darwin!   Meet Darwin! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 7:12 pm

I have only ever seen a drawing of one in a bird book and a black and white photo. I never even bothered to look them up. They're very uncommon birds but I'm glad I got my hands on him haha. He had a brother too and I wish I had taken both of them but at the time I was telling my self he was for breeding, but now we've decided he will just be used as a companion bird. I have fallen in love with the species now, and other lories, having now learnt more about their personalities and understood their care. I will definitely be getting more lories and lorikeets in the future. I never thought I'd come across one in the UK anyways! I will look up on birdbreeders about them in the US and see what kind of price and availability they are at. Thank you though!

EDIT: I looked them up on birdbreeders, probably the best US site for finding a breeder...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Looks like you won't be finding one Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
ParrotGirl (Admin)
Admin
ParrotGirl (Admin)

Meet Darwin! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meet Darwin!   Meet Darwin! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 8:00 pm

Awww thanks for looking, I can imangine that it well be really hard to find one here. I have always wanted a rainbow lory, I love everything about them except the min $600 prince tag, sheesh. Those are also nearly immpossible to find around where I live, but someday. I really need to look up the different species of lories myself, since I really only know rainbow and now black capped.
Back to top Go down
https://birdworld.forumotion.com
catalinadee

catalinadee

Meet Darwin! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meet Darwin!   Meet Darwin! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 5:39 am

You would probably have to ship a rainbow in Crying or Very sad they're amazing though, I was going to buy a breeding pair of them when I saw them or another pair of lorikeets but I didn't and went with Darwin haha! I only wish I'd taken his brother too now Mad I really want a black lory and a rainbow lorikeet. There are so many species of them but those are the two I want in particular
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Meet Darwin! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meet Darwin!   Meet Darwin! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Meet Darwin!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ParrotGirl's Bird World :: New Flock Members-
Jump to: